Modification of Court Orders in Civil Cases

A Danbury Civil Litigation Attorney Explains What to Do If you Need to Change a Court Order

Judgment Day

A Danbury civil litigation attorney understands that circumstances in your life may change such as when you lose a job, take a new job, or get remarried. If you have an existing court order regarding child custody or support, you may need advice on how to modify it.

A Danbury Civil Litigation Attorney Explains How Court Orders Work

When you go through a divorce, you’ll end up with a final divorce judgment that speaks to custody (if minor children are involved), visitation, child support and/or spousal support. Your judgment is a type of court order that all parties must comply with or face contempt of court resulting in fines or possibly jail time. Your order should reflect your circumstances at the time it was entered. For example, as your Danbury civil litigation attorney can explain, support amounts were set based on your financial picture at the time of the hearing. But what happens if years down the road, you lose your job or your child no longer wants to live with your ex? Let a Danbury civil litigation lawyer explain what you can do.

A Danbury Civil Litigation Attorney Explains How to Modify Court Orders

The first thing your Danbury civil litigation lawyer will likely tell you is that you must follow the existing court order until a new one replaces it. You cannot unilaterally decide to stop paying child support or giving your ex court ordered parenting time without facing contempt of court. If your spouse won’t agree to change the order, your Danbury civil litigation lawyer can request a hearing in front of the judge (usually by filing a motion) so you can explain what’s changed. The judge will hopefully enter a new order. Your Danbury civil litigation attorney will explain other options if you lose.

Criminal court proceedings are not major legal productions as depicted by the media. Usually, criminal proceedings are low-drama, systematic procedures that take a lot of time and patience. If you’re involved in a criminal case, and aren’t quite sure what to expect, this video will explain the reality of criminal court proceedings, and how best to prepare yourself.


If circumstances have changed in your life and you need to modify an existing court order, let a Danbury civil litigation attorney counsel you on your best legal options. Call 203-426-4409 to set up an appointment at Shalvoy Law, LLC.

Ratings and Reviews

Contact Us

Call Us: 203-426-4409

Shalvoy Law, LLC
12 Queen Street
Newtown, CT 06470

Fax: 203-426-3011


Map and Directions

Send us a message


Client Reviews


I had been arrested for driving while under suspension for DUI, which carries a mandatory minimum 30 days in jail. In spite of the objections from the prosecutor, Attorney Shalvoy was able to convince the Judge to waive the jail term and only imposed a fine.

– A client