Modification of Court Orders in Civil Cases

A Connecticut Civil Litigation Attorney Explains What to Do If you Need to Change a Court Order

A Connecticut civil litigation attorney understands that circumstances in your life may change such as when you lose a job, take a new job, or get remarried. If you have an existing court order regarding child custody or support, you may need advice on how to modify it.

How to Modify Court Orders

When you go through a divorce, you’ll end up with a final divorce judgment that speaks to custody (if minor children are involved), visitation, child support and/or spousal support. Your judgment is a type of court order that all parties must comply with or face contempt of court resulting in fines or possibly jail time. Your order should reflect your circumstances at the time it was entered. For example, as your Connecticut civil litigation attorney can explain, support amounts were set based on your financial picture at the time of the hearing. But what happens if years down the road, you lose your job or your child no longer wants to live with your ex? Let a Connecticut civil litigation lawyer explain what you can do.

A Connecticut Civil Litigation Attorney Explains How to Modify Court Orders

The first thing your Connecticut civil litigation lawyer will likely tell you is that you must follow the existing court order until a new one replaces it. You cannot unilaterally decide to stop paying child support or giving your ex court ordered parenting time without facing contempt of court. If your spouse won’t agree to change the order, your Connecticut civil litigation lawyer can request a hearing in front of the judge (usually by filing a motion) so you can explain what’s changed. The judge will hopefully enter a new order. Your Connecticut civil litigation attorney will explain other options if you lose.

Criminal court proceedings are not major legal productions as depicted by the media. Usually, criminal proceedings are low-drama, systematic procedures that take a lot of time and patience. If you’re involved in a criminal case, and aren’t quite sure what to expect, this video will explain the reality of criminal court proceedings, and how best to prepare yourself.

If circumstances have changed in your life and you need to modify an existing court order, let a Connecticut civil litigation attorney counsel you on your best legal options. Call 203-426-4409 to set up an appointment at Shalvoy Law, LLC.